Dual Enrollment - State Profile

Dual Enrollment - State Profile - South Dakota

For the most recent version of this database click here.

This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites. A profile was sent to each state for review and modification, as needed.

Last updated: December 2013

Data compiled by Jennifer Dounay Zinth: 303.299.3689 or jdounay@ecs.org.

Program Basics
Statewide policy in place Yes
Definition or title of program No title. A high school student may enroll in an institution of higher education or a postsecondary vocational education institution. The board of regents policy manual uses the terms “dual credit” and “dual enrollment” for courses offered in the high school.
Where courses provided
  • At high school
  • At postsecondary institution
  • Virtual program
Postsecondary and/or secondary credit earned Not specified. Both may be earned. However, since board of regents policy provides that having all students in a dual enrollment course enrolled for college credit may be difficult in smaller school districts, at a minimum more than 50% of the students in a high school-based dual enrollment course must be enrolled for college credit.
Students may take developmental/remedial courses through dual enrollment program Not set in state policy
CTE component Yes. Postsecondary vocational education institutions may accept students in grades 10-12 as special students.
Unique characteristics None identified
Offering mandatory or voluntary Voluntary
College partners can be 2-year/4-year/both Both
Student eligibility requirements
  • Meet ACT college-ready benchmarks in all subtests; or
  • Meet undergraduate admissions requirements (ACT or coursework); or
  • If a high school senior, rank in the upper one-half of their class or score at or above the 50th percentile on a nationally standardized, norm-referenced test, such as the ACT or SAT; or
  • If a high school junior, rank in the upper one-third of their class or score at or above the 70th percentile on a nationally standardized, norm-referenced test, such as the ACT or SAT.
  • Student in grades 11-12, although students in lower grades can participate if they demonstrate they are prepared to do college-level work.
The first two options are preferred, but alternatives commonly used by colleges and universities are also included. In addition, students enrolling in math or composition must meet placement requirements established in policy.
Cap on number of credits students may earn Not set in state policy
Students/parents must be notified of dual enrollment opportunities No
Counseling/advising is made available to students Not set in state policy
Who is primarily responsible for paying tuition Local decision. District may cover all or a portion of tuition and fees; the student is responsible for paying any tuition/fees not paid by the district and any other costs.
How state funds participating high schools Equal
How state funds participating postsecondary institutions Equal
Ensuring Program Quality
Instructor qualifications component Yes, for dual credit/dual enrollment courses offered in high schools. A high school-based dual enrollment course must be taught by a high school teacher who has been approved by the university and who meets the standards used by the institution to hire adjuncts in the discipline. While a Master’s degree in the subject/discipline teaching is preferred, faculty typically must have a Master’s degree with 15 graduate hours in the subject discipline/taught.

A faculty member in the discipline of the course from the credit granting university must be assigned to and actively engaged as a mentor for the high school teacher.

The faculty of the institution granting credit must develop the course syllabus. College courses require a minimum of 15 class hours (one hour equals 50 minutes) of class time for each semester credit hour. Additional class hours for science laboratories must be specified.

The preferred validation of student learning in the high school-based dual enrollment course for the Regental system is via the national AP or CLEP exam instruments. An acceptable alternative is a student evaluation and assessment system developed jointly by the discipline faculty of the university and the high school teacher. Under this arrangement, high school students are expected to demonstrate the same mastery of the college course as is required of college students who take the course on campus.
Program reporting requirement Not set in state policy
Program evaluation component Not set in state policy
Public postsecondary institutions required to accept credits No. Postsecondary institutions must award credit only if the college credit is granted by a university with which the South Dakota Board of Regents has a dual credit agreement, or the college credit is granted by an institution accredited by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP).

© 2020 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org