Dual Enrollment - State Profile

Dual Enrollment - State Profile - Missouri

For the most recent version of this database click here.

This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites. A profile was sent to each state for review and modification, as needed.

Last updated: December 2013

Data compiled by Jennifer Dounay Zinth: 303.299.3689 or jdounay@ecs.org.

Program Basics
Statewide policy in place Yes
Definition or title of program High schools may offer postsecondary course options to high school students. No title in statute; department of higher education policies refer to “dual credit.”
Where courses provided
  • At high school
  • At postsecondary institution
Postsecondary and/or secondary credit earned Both
Students may take developmental/remedial courses through dual enrollment program Not set in state policy
CTE component Yes. Students may complete vocational or academic courses.
Unique characteristics Students enrolled in courses taught at the high school by a high school teacher: Students in dual credit courses must have geographic access to student and academic support similar to the support students on the college campus have, including access to library resources of similar scope and magnitude as those available to students enrolled in courses with the same titles on the college campus. Library materials must be available either on site at the high school or electronically. Students must have reasonable access to the course instructor outside regular classroom hours either in person, via phone, and/or through other electronic means.

In addition, institutions are barred from using fees as a way of competing for dual credit students, and must work cooperatively when providing dual credit courses in the same geographic area. Institutions should use the same credit hour fee for all dual credit courses, regardless of course site.

One of the measures of K-12 district performance is whether the number of graduates who receive college credit through dual enrollment or approved dual credit courses meets or exceeds the state standard or demonstrates required improvement.

Hours of postsecondary credit earned through dual credit do not count against credit limits for eligibility for the A+ Scholarship.
Offering mandatory or voluntary Voluntary. However, under “Resource Standards and Indicators” for public school districts, students must have access to postsecondary preparation (defined as Advanced Courses, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, Technical Skills Attainment, Dual Enrollment, and Dual Credit).
College partners can be 2-year/4-year/both Both. Private colleges and universities may also participate.
Student eligibility requirements
  • Minimum GPA
  • Written approval/recommendation
  • Meet entrance requirements set by postsecondary institution
  • Other: If the high school administers a competency assessment in an area related to the dual credit course, high school juniors and seniors must score at or above proficient on the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) or earn an equivalent score on a comparable assessment.
Cap on number of credits students may earn Not set in state policy
Students/parents must be notified of dual enrollment opportunities No
Counseling/advising is made available to students Yes, for courses offered on high schools by high school faculty. Students must have geographic access to student and academic support similar to the support students on the college campus have.
Who is primarily responsible for paying tuition Local decision. Local agreement between student’s district and the college or university determines whether tuition is paid by the student’s district or by student/parent.

For the purpose of payment of dual credit course fees, eligible students must be enrolled in an approved course, and have either scored proficient or advanced on the same content area section of the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) test. The department of elementary and secondary education must establish a systematic process for identification and reporting the names of students eligible for aid to pay a portion of the cost of dual credit course fees, and an evaluation to determine the effectiveness of the program and the program's impact on participating students.
How state funds participating high schools Equal
How state funds participating postsecondary institutions Equal
Ensuring Program Quality
Instructor qualifications component Yes, for courses taught in high schools by high school teachers. Dual credit courses offered in high schools must duplicate the identical course offerings delivered on campus to matriculated students. Courses must be approved for dual credit status, and the credit awarded must be deemed acceptable in transfer by the faculty of the appropriate academic department of the college. Elements of the dual credit course to be approved by the on-campus college faculty in the appropriate academic discipline include the syllabus, textbook(s), teaching methodology, and student assessment strategies. Course content and course requirements must be comparable to those utilized in the equivalent on-campus courses with the same titles. The chief academic officer of the postsecondary institution will also be responsible for involving full time faculty in the discipline in the selection and evaluation of all dual credit faculty. The on-campus college faculty must also ensure comparable standards of evaluation.

Classes with a mixed population of dual credit and non-dual credit students must show evidence of collegiate level expectations for all students in the course. All high school students enrolled in a dual credit course must meet the same requirements for completion of the course, whether or not the student is simultaneously registered for college credit.

High school instructors must meet the same requirements for faculty teaching in institutions of higher education as required for accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission. They must have a master’s degree that includes 18 semester hours or more in the field in which they are teaching. However, institutions may use professional judgment in allowing faculty who do not meet all requirements for higher education instruction to teach dual credit courses, provided 90% of any institution’s dual credit faculty meet standard faculty eligibility requirements. Annual reports of student performance must be submitted to the chief academic officer for both review and consideration with respect to the continuation of a dual credit instructor.

New dual credit instructors must participate in orientation activities provided by the college and/or academic department. Continuing dual credit instructors must participate in the same professional development and evaluation activities as adjunct faculty on the college campus, with the recommendation for continuation being the responsibility of the campus academic department. College academic departments must provide instructors of dual credit courses with support services, including a designated on-campus faculty member to serve as a liaison. The institution of higher education must provide on-site supervision and evaluation of dual credit faculty. This process is best served when the instructional site is within a reasonable commuting distance from the institution of higher education. On-campus faculty are responsible for developing assessment and evaluation measures to ensure course quality and comparability. This comparability generally should be demonstrated by using the same assessment measures/testing procedures.

The postsecondary institution’s chief academic officer is accountable for ensuring the quality of all dual credit courses.
Program reporting requirement Yes, for courses taught at high schools by high school teachers. All institutions offering dual credit must annually report to the coordinating board for higher education (CBHE) the number of sections of dual credit courses offered; the number of students enrolled (duplicated headcount) per high school; the total by class (year in high school); the number of high schools served by dual credit and the number of sections in each; the student credit-hour production (total for all dual credit and total per high school); the number of sections offered in math, science, social sciences, and humanities; and summary data on the performance of dual credit students.

In addition, each institution must provide evidence that the guidelines for delivery of dual credit courses have been met (i.e., Student Eligibility, Program Structure and Administration, Faculty Qualifications and Support, Assessment of Student Performance, and Transferability of Credit.) The CBHE must annually provide the department of elementary and secondary education with an updated list of dual credit programs in compliance with these policies.
Program evaluation component Yes. The department of higher education’s committee on transfer and articulation (COTA) must review policy guidelines after three years based on institution reports and reports on the academic progress of students who transfer dual credit.
Public postsecondary institutions required to accept credits Yes. A receiving institution must transfer and treat dual credit courses in the same way it would credit earned on the institution’s campus, provided this does not compromise the integrity of the associate degree or 42-hour general education block.

However, MDHE Dual Credit Policy suggest that students should expect to transfer credit up to the equivalent of five college courses. Students who wish to transfer more than five dual credit courses are encouraged to consult the institution to which they intend to transfer to determine if the institution has a policy regarding the use of dual credit courses to complete a college degree.

© 2020 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org