Dual Enrollment - State Profile

Dual Enrollment - State Profile - Hawaii

For the most recent version of this database click here.

This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites. A profile was sent to each state for review and modification, as needed.

Last updated: December 2013

Data compiled by Jennifer Dounay Zinth: 303.299.3689 or jdounay@ecs.org.

Program Basics
Statewide policy in place Yes
Definition or title of program Running Start. In addition, statute clarifies that Running Start provisions do not preclude the department of education and the University of Hawaii system from establishing programs by mutual agreement that permit high school students to enroll in college courses.
Where courses provided
  • At postsecondary institution
Postsecondary and/or secondary credit earned Both
Students may take developmental/remedial courses through dual enrollment program No
CTE component Yes. A career and technical education course is included in the statutory definition of “qualified course” for Running Start.
Unique characteristics None identified
Offering mandatory or voluntary Not specified
College partners can be 2-year/4-year/both Both
Student eligibility requirements
  • Written approval/recommendation. Approval from the student’s parent, high school counselor, and high school principal is part of the Running Start application.
  • Meets entrance requirements set by postsecondary institution. Student must pass a standardized test administered by the college that demonstrates the student's ability to succeed at the college level.
  • Student in grades 11-12
  • Other. Student must be under the age of 21 as of September 1 of the school year in which the course is taken, and must meet other qualifications deemed appropriate by the department of education or the university; provided that subsequent qualifications do not restrict any student from taking the standardized test.
Cap on number of credits students may earn Not set in state policy
Students/parents must be notified of dual enrollment opportunities No
Counseling/advising is made available to students Yes. The department must provide participating students with guidance in earning credit toward high school graduation upon the satisfactory completion of University of Hawaii courses at the 100 level and above. In practice, this is via the department of education website.
Who is primarily responsible for paying tuition Student/parent, unless the student is eligible for free-/reduced-price lunch, in which case the student may apply for a GEAR UP Hawaii Running Start Scholarship. The scholarship is for tuition/fees and required textbooks for a 3- to 4-credit class. Priority is given to students who have not previously received a scholarship, and to seniors.
How state funds participating high schools Equal
How state funds participating postsecondary institutions Equal
Ensuring Program Quality
Instructor qualifications component Not applicable—courses are taken only at colleges.
Program reporting requirement Not set in state policy
Program evaluation component Not set in state policy
Public postsecondary institutions required to accept credits Yes. All Running Start course credits that would otherwise be transferable but for a student's grade level, must be transferable to any University of Hawaii system degree granting institution.

© 2020 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org