Dual Enrollment - State Profile

Dual Enrollment - State Profile - Arkansas

Note: This database does not include information about Tech Prep or early/middle college high school programs. Information about such programs is included in the ECS career/technical education and early/middle college high school databases.

Methodology: This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites. A profile was sent to each state for review and modification, as needed.

Last updated: December 2013

Data compiled by Jennifer Dounay Zinth: 303.299.3689 or jdounay@ecs.org.

Program Basics
Statewide policy in place Yes
Definition or title of program State has three programs: An endorsed concurrent enrollment course is a course in math, English, science, and social studies offered at the high school (or in rare instances on the college campus), that meets specified quality components, and upon completion of which a student earns high school and postsecondary credit.

Dual enrollment is a high school student’s enrollment in postsecondary coursework for college credit only.

Statute also permits (1) a public school student who has completed 8th grade to enroll in a publicly supported community college or four-year college or university and receive postsecondary and high school graduation credit upon course completion and (2) qualified public or private high school students to, upon request, be accepted for enrollment in a public institution of higher education as part-time students.
Where courses provided Not specified. Concurrent courses are offered for high school students during the school day on the high school campus, the college campus, or by distance technology.
Postsecondary and/or secondary credit earned For both programs: Both
Students may take developmental/remedial courses through dual enrollment program Yes, but only for courses offered through enrollment of students who have completed the 8th grade. A student must be a 12th grader with an ACT sub-score of at least 17 in English, reading or math (or an equivalent measure). An institution offering a remedial/developmental education course must inform the student, verbally and in writing, that successful completion of such coursework at one college or university does not guarantee college course placement at another Arkansas institution, unless there is a written/signed college course placement agreement with the other institution. A list of the institutions of higher education with a signed college course placement agreement must be 1) included in the signed Memorandum of Agreement between the school district and college/university, 2) published in the current college/university catalog, and 3) posted on the college/university website.

A remedial/developmental education course cannot be used to meet the core subject area/unit requirements in English and math for high school graduation.

Public school students in grade 12 who are enrolled in remedial/developmental education courses are not counted for public higher education funding purposes.
CTE component Yes. Concurrent credit classes may be offered for high school career and technical credit in a secondary area technical center, once they have undergone approval and alignment by the Arkansas Department of Career Education.
Unique characteristics Private and home school students may also participate.

Institutions of higher education may collaborate to provide a concurrent enrollment course and award course credit.

The institution providing the course must provide students with the opportunity to utilize the on-campus library or other academic resources of the institution. 

Because discrete classes that totally separate concurrent credit students from non-concurrent credit students may be prohibitive to operate in some cases, those classes with a mixed population must have at least a majority of the students enrolled for concurrent credit. All high school students enrolled in the concurrent course must meet the same requirements for completion of the course whether or not the student is registered for college credit.

2013 legislation creates a Council on Postsecondary Education and Career Readiness, which must, among other duties, support college and career readiness standards that promote accelerated learning opportunities, including without Advanced Placement courses, concurrent credit opportunities, and other accelerated opportunities with college or vocational-technical school assistance.

Any public school, education service cooperative, or institution of higher education is authorized to enter into one or more interlocal agreements to collaborate to improve public school performance and academic achievement. An interlocal agreement establishes an “education renewal zone.” An education renewal zone strategic plan must provide for enhancement and expansion of school curricular offerings via two-way interactive television, including advanced placement, dual-credit, and advanced high school courses.
Offering mandatory or voluntary


College partners can be 2-year/4-year/both For both programs: Both. For enrollment of students who have completed the 8th grade (non-“endorsed concurrent enrollment course”), accredited private institutions may also participate.
Student eligibility requirements
  • Written approval/recommendation. From high school principal or designee.
  • Meet entrance requirements set by postsecondary institution. For endorsed concurrent enrollment: Students must be admitted by the institution of higher education as a non-degree or non-certificate seeking student, and meet all course prerequisites.
  • Other. Students must also score 19 or better on the ACT Reading sub-test or have a score on the EXPLORE, PLAN or PSAT assessments that are projected to produce a 19 or better on the ACT Reading sub-test, or comparable score on the SAT, ASSET or COMPASS, to enroll in any general education course. Enrollment in English Composition and math courses also require a 19 or better on the respective ACT sub-test or a score on the EXPLORE, PLAN or PSAT assessments that are projected to produce a 19 or better on the respective ACT sub-tests or comparable score on the SAT, COMPASS or ASSET. These scores are statewide minimum scores. Any college/university campus may set higher minimum scores for general education concurrent courses, and may choose to require the COMPASS or ASSET score in addition to EXPLORE, PLAN or PSAT scores.

For enrollment of students who have completed the 8th grade (non-“endorsed concurrent enrollment course”): If the institution requires an ACT score greater than 19 or the equivalent, the student must meet that institution's concurrent admissions and course placement requirements. If a student is a 12th grader has an ACT sub-score of at least 17 in English, reading or mathematics (or an equivalent measure) may enroll in remedial/developmental education courses in English, reading and mathematics.
Cap on number of credits students may earn Not set in state policy. For endorsed concurrent enrollment: students may participate only in English, math, science and social studies courses.
Students/parents must be notified of dual enrollment opportunities No
Counseling/advising is made available to students Yes, for endorsed concurrent enrollment courses. The institution offering the course must provide academic guidance counseling, and ensure students have the opportunity to utilize institutional resources, including academic advising on the college/university campus. Institutions may collaborate to meet this requirement.

Concurrent enrollment students must be informed that the student is responsible for all costs associated with enrollment in the concurrent course, unless the courses are paid by another approved public or private entity; and 2) advised about the potential limitations concerning the transfer of college course credit.

If remedial/developmental education courses in English, reading or mathematics are offered for concurrent credit to high school seniors, a list of the colleges/universities with a signed college course placement agreement must be published in the student guide/information sheet, and posted on the college/university website.

The college/university must provide the school district with a student guide or information sheet for concurrent enrollment that the high school must distribute to students and parents, that outlines the college/university and school district requirements for student participation. The high school will assure that the student and parent acknowledge that the student will participate in the concurrent program in accordance with the stated college/university and school district participation requirements.
Who is primarily responsible for paying tuition Local decision. Tuition is paid by the student/parent unless paid by a school district, college scholarship, grant, or private foundation.

Endorsed Concurrent Enrollment: A state-supported two-year or four-year institution of higher education may offer a reduced tuition rate. The reduction in tuition is considered an institutional scholarship.

Enrollment of students who have completed the 8th grade: The student is responsible for all course costs, unless these are paid by the public school district, a college/university scholarship, a grant, or a private foundation. If the course costs are paid by the school district, a college/university scholarship, a grant, or a private foundation, a signed agreement must exist between the school district, the external entity or foundation, and the publicly-supported or private institution of higher education.
How state funds participating high schools Equal, for courses offered through enrollment of students who have completed the 8th grade and endorsed concurrent enrollment.
How state funds participating postsecondary institutions Equal, for credit-bearing courses. Public school students in grade 12 who are enrolled in remedial/developmental education courses are not counted for public higher education funding purposes.
Ensuring Program Quality
Instructor qualifications component Yes. Instructors of endorsed concurrent enrollment courses must have at least a master's degree that includes a minimum of 18 graduate hours of coursework in the subject area of the course. The instructor's credentials must be approved by the academic unit or chief academic officer of the postsecondary institution offering the course. The instructor must also have the relevant credentials and experience necessary to teach from the syllabus approved by the postsecondary institution. For the purpose of teaching a concurrent course under this policy, an individual under contract with the school district as a teacher will not be considered an adjunct faculty member of the college/university.

Concurrent enrollment courses must be approved through the postsecondary institution's normal process and listed in the postsecondary institution's catalog. The course content and instruction must meet the same standards and adopt the same learning outcomes and assignments as those developed for a course taught on the institution’s campus, including the administration of any departmental exams applicable to the course, use of substantially the same book and syllabus as used at the college level, and the same course grading standards. If departmental exams are used in college/university campus courses, then those course exams must be used at the high school site. The institution must provide the course instructor with staff development, supervision, and evaluation. Institutions may collaborate to provide this staff development, supervision, and evaluation.

Institutions of higher education must demonstrate “ownership” of any course offered for concurrent credit for which students are reported for funding purposes. Ownership of courses means that the college/university must (1) provide the instructors with appropriate training and orientation in course curriculum, assessment criteria, course philosophy, and administrative requirements after approval of the instructors to teach the college/university courses; and (2) ensure that instructors receive continuing collegial interaction with college faculty through professional development, required seminars, and site visits. These interactions must address topics such as course content, course delivery, student learning assessment, in-class evaluation, and professional development in the field of study.

Concurrent program requirements and guidelines required for course instruction must be provided by the college/university to the school district and concurrent instructors.

Any college or university that participates in a concurrent enrollment program must be accredited by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships or be authorized by the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board no later than August 1, 2015. An institution offering concurrent enrollment only on the college/university campus has satisfied the requirements for initial authorization for Concurrent Enrollment Program participation.

Postsecondary faculty who travel to the high school or secondary center to teach concurrent courses (and/or faculty and staff who have direct contact with the high school student) must have a criminal background check and complete the child maltreatment training course as required of public school teachers.

For a CTE course offered in a secondary area technical center: Technical instructors teaching at a secondary area technical center must have a minimum of an associate degree within the area of instruction and must have completed fingerprint and background checks and meet all college accrediting standards for instructors. Secondary area technical centers should submit documentation of these records to the Office of Workforce Training, ADWE. Centers will annually submit a list of instructors providing concurrent credit and meeting the above requirements will be given an annual waiver from teacher licensure requirements. Those instructors not meeting these requirements or instructors teaching non-concurrent credit classes must hold an Arkansas teacher permit.
Program reporting requirement Yes. Colleges/universities must report concurrent enrollments through the Arkansas Student Information System. In addition, department of higher education staff must submit an annual report on concurrent course enrollment to the coordinating board, to include institutional data on concurrent course offerings and locations.
Program evaluation component Yes. The annual report on concurrent course enrollment may include ADHE Executive Staff Recommendations for policy amendments on the administration, continuance, and funding of the concurrent enrollment program.
Public postsecondary institutions required to accept credits Yes, provided the course is an endorsed concurrent enrollment course and is listed as a “comparable” course in the Arkansas Department of Higher Education’s Arkansas Course Transfer System (ACTS). By definition, an “endorsed concurrent enrollment course” must be listed in ACTS. If the college/university offers the course at the freshman or sophomore level, the course is listed as a comparable course in ACTS.

© 2018 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3609 or askinner@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org