Teacher License Reciprocity: State Profile

Teacher License Reciprocity: State Profile - North Dakota


Description Citation/Link
State certification / licensure website https://www.nd.gov/espb/licensure/
State information on reciprocity https://www.nd.gov/espb/licensure/docs/Out-of-StateEducatorLicensureVisual.pdf
Has the state signed the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement? Yes. North Dakota is a participant in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement.
Does the state have full reciprocity by statute for out-of-state teachers? No.
Does the state have additional coursework requirements in place for out-of-state teachers? Yes, but not immediately. If deficiencies are found on the required transcript analysis, additional coursework may be required. Among other things, North Dakota requires coursework in Native American studies, cultural diversity, strategies for creating learning environments that contribute to positive human relationships and strategies for teaching and assessing diverse learners. To be eligible for licensure, out-of-state applicants must also demonstrate completion of a professional education sequence which included supervised student teaching from a state-approved teacher education program. Applicants who have not met coursework requirements can teach under an Out-of-State Reciprocal License, but must meet coursework requirements to be eligible for an Initial License. The state has also established a minimum grade point average requirement of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for college transcripts. Candidates not meeting the minimum GPA requirements are not eligible for licensure. NDAC 67.1-02-02-07
NDAC 67.1-02-06-01
NDAC 67.1-02-02-02
Does the state provide a test-out or other exemption option for coursework requirements? No.
Does the state have additional assessment requirements in place for out-of-state teachers? Yes, but not immediately. Depending on the certification area and preparation route, out-of-state candidates are required to pass a relevant content Praxis II assessment, and may also be required to take a basic skills Praxis I and/or pedagogical test. Candidates who do not meet assessment requirements may be eligible to receive an Out-of-State Reciprocal License, but he/she must complete the requirements for full licensure (the Initial License) within 2 to 4 years. Candidates applying for the Out-of-State Reciprocal License may submit evidence of meeting their issuing state’s cut scores, if the assessment was the same, but candidates applying for the Out-of-State Highly Qualified License must meet the Praxis II cut scores established in North Dakota, even if a candidate’s sending state accepted a lower cut score. NDAC 67.1-02-06-01
NDAC 67.1-02-02-02
Does the state have different requirements in place for experienced and inexperienced out-of-state teachers? Yes. Some candidates may be eligible to submit evidence of contracted teaching experience in place of pedagogical assessment requirements. NDAC 67.1-02-02-04
Does the state require out-of-state teachers with experience provide evidence of effectiveness? No.
Does the state provide special reciprocity for out-of-state teachers with advanced credentials? No. North Dakota has three main licensure levels specific to out-of-state candidates: Out-of-State Reciprocal License, Initial License, and Out-of State Highly Qualified License. The Initial License is only granted to out-of-state candidates who have met all coursework and assessment requirements, and the Highly-Qualified-License is only granted to out-of-state candidates who received “highly qualified” status in their issuing state and who meet other coursework and assessment requirements. NDAC 67.1-02-06-01
NDAC 67.1-02-06-02
Does the state provide special reciprocity (or other supports) for military spouses? No.

© 2020 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org