Teacher License Reciprocity: State Profile

Teacher License Reciprocity: State Profile - Idaho


Description Citation/Link
State certification / licensure website http://www.sde.idaho.gov/cert-psc/cert/
State information on reciprocity http://www.sde.idaho.gov/cert-psc/cert/apply/out-of-state.html
Has the state signed the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement? Yes. Idaho is a participant in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement. IDAPA
Does the state have full reciprocity by statute for out-of-state teachers? No.
Does the state have additional coursework requirements in place for out-of-state teachers? Yes, but not immediately. Out-of-state candidates may be required to take “Mathematical Thinking for Instruction” and “Idaho Comprehensive Literacy” before receiving a Standard Certificate. Out-of-state candidates are granted a three-year, nonrenewable Interim Certificate in order to complete these requirements. Applicants might also be required to take technology courses, subject to the discretion of the hiring district. IDAPA
Does the state provide a test-out or other exemption option for coursework requirements? Yes. Candidates may either take the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course OR pass the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment.. IDAPA
Does the state have additional assessment requirements in place for out-of-state teachers? Yes, but not for all candidates. Idaho requires demonstration of content mastery in an endorsed area through content testing (Praxis II). The Praxis II requirement can be waived for candidates who have taken and passed a content test comparable to the Praxis II and obtained their out-of-state certificate. The test can also be waived if the candidate can provide verification of content mastery through a master’s degree in the specific content area or verification of a current National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certificate in the content area. The state gives a three-year interim license to out-of-state teachers who have not met the assessment requirements. Source
Does the state have different requirements in place for experienced and inexperienced out-of-state teachers? No. Out-of-state applicants with two years' teaching experience who hold a current, valid certificate in another state, and applicants without this experience but who hold an institutional recommendation from an approved certification program completed in the past two years are eligible to receive a three-year, nonrenewable Interim Certificate upon clearance of the background investigation check. Once all deficiencies noted on the interim certificate are completed, the applicant may apply for a renewable, five-year Standard Certificate. Source
Does the state require out-of-state teachers with experience provide evidence of effectiveness? No.
Does the state provide special reciprocity for out-of-state teachers with advanced credentials? No. Idaho has two main licensure levels: Interim and Standard. All candidates are granted an Interim Certificate while they complete the requirements for a Standard Certificate.
Does the state provide special reciprocity (or other supports) for military spouses? Yes. According to statute, each of the professional and occupational licensing boards within the department of self-governing agencies may expedite the application of a member of the armed forces or reserves of the United States, the national guard of any state, the military reserves of any state or the naval militia of any state or a spouse of such person to receive licensure, certification or registration if such member or spouse of such member possesses necessary education, qualifications or licensure or certification from another state, possession, commonwealth or territory. I.C. § 67-2620

© 2020 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org