Teacher License Reciprocity: State Profile

Teacher License Reciprocity: State Profile - Alaska


Description Citation/Link
State certification / licensure website https://education.alaska.gov/teachercertification/
State information on reciprocity https://education.alaska.gov/TeacherCertification/initial.html#OutOfState
Has the state signed the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement? Yes. Alaska is a participant in the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement.
Does the state have full reciprocity by statute for out-of-state teachers? No.
Does the state have additional coursework requirements in place for out-of-state teachers? Yes, but not immediately. A candidate (in-state or out-of-state) is not eligible for a teacher professional certificate unless he/she has completed three semester hours in Alaska studies and three semester hours in Alaska multicultural education or cross-cultural communications. However, the commissioner may issue a provisional certificate, valid for no longer than two years, to an applicant who has not completed the semester hours required at the time of application. In addition, teachers must have earned at least six semester hours of college credit within the five years preceding the application and have had at least two years of employment. AS § 14.20.020
4 AK ADC 12.305
Does the state provide a test-out or other exemption option for coursework requirements? No.
Does the state have additional assessment requirements in place for out-of-state teachers? Yes, but not immediately. If a teacher provides a valid teaching certificate from another state, the teacher is eligible for a one-year certificate. To extend the initial out-of-state certificate for up to three years, the teacher needs to provide evidence of satisfying a basic competency exam. To obtain professional certification, all candidates must pass a content exam and complete an approved teacher preparation program. Candidates are encouraged to complete the preparation program requirement within one year. Alaska has established acceptable cut scores for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators, the National Evaluation Series Essential Academic Skills, the ACT and SAT, and for the basic skills exams administered in: California, Oregon, Washington, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, New Mexico, New York and Oklahoma. AS § 14.20.015
4 AK ADC 12.310
Source 1
Source 2
Does the state have different requirements in place for experienced and inexperienced out-of-state teachers? Yes. Inexperienced teachers who do not have a valid license in their home state must satisfy all the requirements set out in statutes and regulations for new teachers prepared in Alaska. To qualify for a professional certificate, in-state and out-of-state teachers must have had at least two years of certified employment with a public school district. 4 AK ADC 12.305
Does the state require out-of-state teachers with experience provide evidence of effectiveness? No. AS § 14.20.015
Does the state provide special reciprocity for out-of-state teachers with advanced credentials? No. Alaska has two main licensure levels: Initial and Professional. Even those teachers with advanced credentials must apply for an Initial teaching certificate until they have met the requirements for a Professional teaching certificate. Source
Does the state provide special reciprocity (or other supports) for military spouses? No.

© 2020 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org