Funding per student

Funding per student

November 2014


Funding per student depends on the type of funding mechanism a state uses can vary year to year, depending on the state budget. States may fund ELL students through weights, dollar amounts or teacher allocations.

Unless otherwise noted, all information in this resource was gathered from state statutes only and does not include policies in state-level guidance documents or arising from court orders.
 

Funding per student
Alabama Funding per student depends on state appropriations. For FY 2015, the department will allocate $2,005,334 to local school boards on a per student basis, which is approximatley an additional $95 per ELL student.
Alaska
Additional weight in formula: 0.2 (20%) 
Arizona Additional weight in the formula: 0.115 (11.5%)
Arkansas For the 2012-2013 school year, districts received an additional $305 per ELL student.
California Additional weight in formula: 0.2 (20%)
Colorado
Funding per student varies depending on students' proficiency levels:
-$869 per non-English proficient student
-$34 per limited English proficient student.
Connecticut Additional weight in formula: 0.15 (15%) for ELLs not participating in bilingual education programs
Delaware N/A
Florida Additional weight in formula: 0.147 (14.7%) 
Georgia Funding per student is based on FTE and teacher/student funding ratios. The ELL ratio is 7:1.
Hawaii Additional weight in formula: 0.18 (18%)
Idaho
The 2014 state ELL allocation of $3,500,000 was distributed in October 2013 directly to districts with an approved State Limited English Proficient plan. A total of 14,261 students were identified as LEP, averaging $245.42 per student.
Illinois Funding per student depends on a district's claims for reimbursement. Additionally, if the money appropriated by the General Assembly is insufficient, it shall be apportioned on the basis of the claims approved.
Indiana Funding for the 2013-2014 Non English Speaking Program (NESP) was $90.88 per pupil. 
Iowa Additional weight in formula: 0.22 (22%)
Kansas Additional weight in formula: 0.395 (39.5%)
Kentucky Additional weight in formula: 0.096 (9.6%)
Louisiana Additional weight in formula: 0.22 (22%)
Maine
Additional weight in formula depends on density of ELL students:
A. Fewer than 15 ELL students: weight of 0.70 (70%)
B. More than 15 ELL students and fewer than 251: weight of 0.50 (50%)
C. 251 or more ELL students: weight of 0.525 (52.5%).
Maryland Additional weight in the formula: 0.99 (99%)
Massachusetts Additional weight in formula varies between 0.07-0.34 (7%-34%), depending on grade level.
Michigan
For the 2014-2015 school year, there is allocated an amount not to exceed $1,200,000.00 to applicant districts and intermediate districts offering programs of instruction for ELL students. 
Minnesota Revenue is equal to $700 times the greater of 20 or the number of eligible ELL pupil units. Additional revenue is provided for high concentrations of ELLs.
Mississippi N/A
Missouri Additional weight in formula: 0.60 (60%)
 
Montana N/A
Nebraska Additional weight in formula: 0.25 (25%)
Nevada  In FY 2014-15 the state allocated $24.95 million for ELL services. These funds were allocated to Clark County School District ($19.71 million)  and Washoe County School District ($3.74 million) with the remaining $1.5 million distributed to the remaining school districts based on their ELL enrollment.
New Hampshire Funding is an additional $684.45 to the base per pupil cost for an ELL student receiving English Language instruction.
New Jersey Additional weight in the formula: 0.5 (50%). For ELL students also considered "at-risk," an additional weight of 0.125 (12.5%) is added to the ELL weight for a total weight of 0.625 (62.5%)
New Mexico Additional weight in the formula: 0.5 (50%)
New York Additional weight in formula: 0.5 (50%)
North Carolina In 2014-15, the state allocated $74.2 million for ELL programs. Each district with at least 20 ELL students receives the dollar equivalent of a teacher assistant position. Any remaining funds are allocated 50% the number of ELL students (up to 10.6% of the districts population) and 50% on the concentration of ELL students.
North Dakota Additional weight in formula: 0.2-0.3 (20%-30%), depending on a student's language ability.
Ohio Funding depends on duration of enrollment:

(A) $1,515 per student enrolled for 180 school days or less

(B) $1,136 per student enrolled for more than 180 school days

(C) $758 per student who does not qualify for inclusion under division (A) or (B) and is in a trial-mainstream period.
Oklahoma Additional weight in formula: 0.25 (25%)
Oregon Additional weight in formula: 0.5 (50%)
Pennsylvania Additional funding of $34.65 per student in FY 2014-15. Funding is from their block grant program which is outside of the formula. 
Rhode Island N/A
South Carolina Additional weight in formula: 0.2 (20%)
South Dakota Additional weight in formula: 0.25 (25%)
Tennessee The state’s funding formula provides districts with funding for an additional teaching position for every 30 ELL students and an additional interpreter position for every 300 students.
Texas
Additional weight in formula: 0.1 (10%)
Utah ELL students qualify for funding under the state's "at-risk" program. At-risk funding (which exist outside of the formula) is distributed based on district demographics:
-20% of at-risk funding goes to high-poverty districts 
-76% distributed based on districts' at-risk student enrollment.

-4% to all districts.
Vermont Additional weight in formula: 0.2 (20%). Additionally, ELL students are given a poverty weight of 0.25 (25%) for an additional total of 0.45 (45%). 
Virginia An additional 17 teaching positions for every 1,000 ELL students
Washington The state formula provides funding for an additional 4.778 hours of bilingual instruction per week. The formula translates to additional funding of approximately $930 per eligible student in the 2013-14 school year.
West Virginia Funding per student depends on the concentration of ELLs in a school district and the varying proficiency levels of students. 
Wisconsin The state provides $250,000 for districts with ELL student populations that represent 15% or more of the district's total population.The $250,000 is distributed to these districts on a prorated basis depending on each district's total ELL expenditures. The amount of funding is contingent on available state dollars.
Wyoming Funding per student depends on staffing costs. The 2015-2016 Block Grant estimate provides an additional $35.56 per FTE ELL teacher.


© 2020 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3636 or mzatynski@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org