Dual Enrollment: Public Postsecondary Institutions Required to Accept Credits

Dual Enrollment: Public Postsecondary Institutions Required to Accept Credits

This database indicates whether public two- and four-year institutions other than the institution at which the student earned postsecondary credit are required to accept postsecondary credits earned through dual enrollment programs.

A "no" indicates that state policy makes clear that public postsecondary institutions are not required to accept postsecondary credits earned through dual enrollment programs. An "unclear" indicates that state policy does not appear to address whether public postsecondary institutions must accept postsecondary credits earned through dual enrollment.

Why does it matter?
  • Dual enrollment courses live up to their potential when end-of-course measures ensure the level of content is equal to that of traditional postsecondary courses.
  • If courses meet rigorous criteria yet students are denied postsecondary credit, the value of dual enrollment as an option for students to save money and time to degree is negated.

  • Fifteen states require all public two- and four-year institutions to accept college credits earned through dual enrollment programs.
  • Fifteen states do not require all public postsecondary institutions to accept dual enrollment courses for transfer credit.
  • In two states, public postsecondary institutions must recognize credit earned through one state program, but are not required to recognize credit earned through another state program.
  • Policies in 18 states are unclear on this issue.

Note: This database does not include information about Tech Prep or early/middle college high school programs. Information about such programs is included in the ECS career/technical education and early/middle college high school databases.

Sources for all data points are accessible through this link.

Methodology: This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites, and will be updated as new policies and programs are enacted.

Last updated: December 4, 2008

This database was compiled by Jennifer Dounay, project manager, ECS High School Policy Center. For questions, additions or corrections: 303.299.3689 or jdounay@ecs.org.

Public postsecondary institutions required to accept credits
Alabama Unclear
Alaska No
Arizona Yes
Arkansas Unclear
California Unclear
Colorado Unclear
Connecticut Unclear
  • No
  • Notes/Citation: Transfer of dual enrollment credits is determined by each institution of higher education (IHE). The state is currently developing a Higher Education Transfer of Credit Matrix with the IHEs that will specify those courses that are transferable from one institution to another. In an effort to be transparent, the matrix will be available to students, parents and the general public on the department of education Web site and coordinated by the state higher education commission.
District of Columbia Unclear
  • Yes
  • Notes/Citation: Any dual enrollment course that has a Statewide Course Numbering System number must be accepted by Florida public institutions as if the course were taken at their institution. Students can take courses with eligible private institutions that are not members of the course numbering system (SCNS), but that credit is not guaranteed to be accepted by public institutions. Only credit from public institutions and private institutions who participate in the SCNS is guaranteed to be accepted.
Georgia Yes
Hawaii Yes
Idaho No
Illinois Unclear
  • Yes
  • Notes/Citation: Double Up for College: Courses offered through the program must be listed in the (1) statewide core transfer library courses that are transferable on all campuses of the state educational institutions, or (2) articulation agreements that apply to any campus in the Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana system and to Vincennes University and draw from liberal arts and the technical, professional, and occupational fields.
  • No
  • Notes/Citation: Postsecondary Enrollment Program: An institution other than that at which the student earned credit is not required to award postsecondary credit, if the course is not in the CTL or has no transfer equivalent for courses that are taught in an on-campus setting.
  • Yes
  • Notes/Citation: Community college credits transfer to public postsecondary institutions. However, some credits may not apply to a particular major/program of study at the institution.
Kansas No
Kentucky Unclear
  • Yes
  • Notes/Citation: For Early Start: College level credit courses listed in the board of regents General Education Articulation Matrix and accepted for transfer credit.
  • No
  • Notes/Citation: For TOPS Tech Early Start and traditional dual enrollment. For Early Start: Technical and developmental courses are not for transfer.
Maine Yes
Maryland No
Massachusetts Unclear
Michigan Yes
  • No
  •  Notes/Citation: However, the Board of Trustees of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities and the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota must, and private nonprofit and proprietary postsecondary institutions should, award postsecondary credit for any successfully completed courses in a program certified by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships.
Mississippi No
Missouri No
  • No
  • Notes/Citation: Courses are accepted by other institutions on the same basis as courses not offered for dual credit.
Nebraska Unclear
Nevada Yes
New Hampshire Unclear
New Jersey Yes
New Mexico Yes
New York Unclear
North Carolina
  • No
  • Notes/Citation: While a student must receive credit for all courses included in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) completed with a "C" or better, some courses taken by high school students are not included in the CAA.
North Dakota Yes Notes/Citation: All dual-credit courses will have equal transferability status within the NDUS [North Dakota University System] in accordance with the General Education Requirement Transfer Agreement (GERTA) and other transfer agreements."
Ohio Unclear
Oklahoma No
Oregon No
  • No
  • Notes/Citation: The postsecondary institution at which a student successfully completed a concurrent course must award postsecondary credit. Any other postsecondary institution may but is not required to award postsecondary credit.
Rhode Island Unclear
South Carolina
  • Yes
  • Notes/Citation: To be transferable to other public postsecondary institutions in the state: General education courses must be chosen from the List of Transferable Courses in the Statewide Transfer and Articulation Policy. For technical education courses, the student must
South Dakota
  • No
  • Notes/Citation: Postsecondary institutions must award credit only if the credit is granted by a university with which the board of regents has a dual credit agreement. The institutions/systems with which agreements have been signed are available at this site: http://www.sdbor.edu/administration/academics/Articulation.htm The agreements set forth best practices to ensure that the level of course content is equal to that of traditional postsecondary courses.
Tennessee Unclear
  • Yes
  • Notes/Citation: While all institutions of higher education must grant credit for dual credit courses, each institution determines the specific course credit, including the number of semester credit hours awarded for dual credit courses.
Utah Yes
Vermont Unclear


Notes/Citation: However, the State Policy on Transfer states, "Course content, not method of course delivery (pedagogy), should be the primary determining factor in the acceptance of credit in transfer between Virginia's two- and four-year public colleges and universities." Consequently, four-year public institutions must evaluate dual enrollment coursework in the same manner as coursework completed through traditional means at community colleges. In addition, the Commonwealth College Course Collaborative (CCCC) consists of at least 13 credit hours accepted as transfer credit at participating public two- and four-year institutions and private four-year institutions. However, students may complete dual enrollment courses that fall outside the purview of CCCC courses.

Washington Unclear
West Virginia Yes
Wisconsin Unclear
Wyoming Unclear

© 2018 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3609 or askinner@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org