Dual Enrollment: Instructor and Course Quality Component

Dual Enrollment: Instructor and Course Quality Component

State policies generally allow dual enrollment courses to be taught by postsecondary faculty, high school teachers, or through virtual means. This database indicates procedures to ensure the quality and rigor of dual enrollment courses.

Most policies listed here relate to procedures to ensure that courses taught by high school teachers are equivalent in course content to those taught by postsecondary faculty. Passages relating to the quality of postsecondary faculty are preceded by "Postsecondary."

This database does not include broader efforts to evaluate dual enrollment programs, in terms of student access, subsequent student outcomes, etc. For state policies on program evaluation, please see the "Program evaluation component" database.

Why does it matter?
  • Teachers of postsecondary courses require a deeper level of content knowledge. Some type of measures to validate that deeper knowledge are key to ensuring program quality.

  • Twenty-nine states have embedded instructor/course quality components into state policy. Such policies may require high school instructors teaching dual enrollment courses to meet additional criteria, such as supplemental training or appointment as adjunct faculty at the partner postsecondary institution, or require course syllabi or other materials to undergo review by postsecondary faculty, or put other measures in place to ensure the content of dual enrollment courses is equivalent to that of courses taught to traditional postsecondary students. State policy in a few states addresses instructor quality for postsecondary faculty.
  • Twenty-one states do not specify instructor/course quality components in state policy.

Note: This database does not include information about Tech Prep or early/middle college high school programs. Information about such programs is included in the ECS career/technical education and early/middle college high school databases.

Sources for all data points are accessible through this link.

Methodology: This information was collected from state statutes, rules and regulations, and state education agency Web sites, and will be updated as new policies and programs are enacted.

Last updated: December 2, 2008

This database was compiled by Jennifer Dounay, project manager, ECS High School Policy Center. For questions, additions or corrections: 303.299.3689 or jdounay@ecs.org.

Instructor and course quality component
Alabama Yes. A high school teacher teaching a dual enrollment course must be designated an adjunct faculty member of the college and must meet the state board and other accrediting agencies' credentialing requirements. Faculty must be under the college's control and supervision, and the college must provide for faculty orientation, supervision and evaluation.
Alaska Not set in state policy
Arizona Yes. Courses offered at a high school must be previously evaluated and approved by the community college district, and must be at a higher level than taught by the high school. The textbooks, syllabi, course outlines and grading standards must be the same as those used at the community college.

Each community college offering courses in high schools must form an advisory committee of full-time faculty to meet at least three times each school year. The committee must assist in course selection and implementation at the high schools, and review and report at least annually whether the course guidelines are followed, and whether the same standards of expectations and assessments are applied as though the course were offered on the community college.

Each community college district offering courses in high schools must likewise establish an advisory committee of full-time faculty to assist in the selection, orientation, ongoing professional development and evaluation of faculty teaching college courses in high schools. This advisory committee must meet at least twice each school year.

Lastly, every agreement between a school district and community college district to offer courses in high schools must specify the quality of instruction that will be provided under the agreement. Every community college district providing such instruction must annually report to the joint legislative budget committee on teacher training and observation costs.
Arkansas Yes. Instructors of endorsed concurrent enrollment courses must have at least a master's degree that includes a minimum of 18 hours of course work in the subject area of the course. The instructor's credentials must be approved by the academic unit or chief academic officer of the postsecondary institution offering the course. The instructor must also have the relevant credentials and experience necessary to teach from the syllabus approved by the postsecondary institution.

Concurrent enrollment courses must be approved through the postsecondary institution's normal process and listed in the postsecondary institution's catalog. The course must be listed in the Arkansas Course Transfer System. The course must meet the same standards, adopt the same learning outcomes (including any departmental exams applicable to the course), and use the same textbook and syllabus as the course offered on the postsecondary campus.

The postsecondary institution must provide the instructor of the concurrent enrollment course with staff development, supervision and evaluation. This includes providing instructors with training and orientation in course curriculum, assessment criteria, course philosophy and administrative requirements before certifying instructors to teach courses. Concurrent enrollment instructors will receive continuing collegial interaction with college faculty through annual professional development, required seminars and site visits. Such interactions will address course content and delivery, student learning assessment, in-class evaluation and professional development in the field of study.

Postsecondary: Higher education coordinating board policy provides that if an institution offers a concurrent enrollment course taught by a high school teacher on a high school campus, the institution must hold provisional membership in the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships. Postsecondary faculty teaching at a high school must undergo a criminal background check.
California Not set in state policy
Colorado Not set in state policy
Connecticut Not set in state policy
Delaware Yes. The articulation agreement between a school or district and postsecondary institution must specify the course syllabus and expected course competencies. Dual enrollment instructors must meet the requirements of a faculty member or adjunct faculty member at the postsecondary institution. All courses for which dual credit is granted must meet the requirements of the sponsoring postsecondary institution as outlined in the articulation agreement.

In addition, all dual enrollment courses for which students receive both high school and postsecondary credit must incorporate any applicable state content standards.
District of Columbia Not set in district policy
Florida Yes. "District interinstitutional articulation agreements" between districts and postsecondary institutions must identify institutional responsibilities for maintaining instructional quality in dual enrollment courses. Legislation directs the department of education to adopt guidelines to achieve comparability in teacher qualifications for dual enrollment courses across districts.
Georgia Not set in state policy
Hawaii Not set in state policy
Idaho Yes. Postsecondary institutions work closely with high schools to deliver college courses that are identical to those offered on the college campus. In addition, state board standards for dual enrollment programs are based on the National Concurrent Enrollment Partnership Standards created by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP), and specify:
  • Instructors teaching college or university courses through dual credit meet the academic requirements for faculty and instructors teaching in postsecondary, or provisions are made to ensure instructors are capable of providing quality college-level instruction through ongoing support and professional development.
  • The postsecondary institution provides high school instructors with training and orientation in course curriculum, student assessment criteria, course philosophy, and dual credit administrative requirements before certifying the instructors to teach the college/university’s courses.
  • Instructors teaching dual credit courses are part of a continuing collegial interaction, through professional development, such as seminars, site visits, and ongoing communication with the postsecondary institutions’ faculty and dual credit administration. This interaction addresses issues such as course content, course delivery, assessment, evaluation, and professional development in the field of study.
  • High school faculty are evaluated by using the same classroom performance standards and processes used to evaluate college faculty.
  • Dual credit students are held to the same course content standards and standards of achievement as those expected of students in postsecondary courses.
  • Every course offered through a dual credit program is annually reviewed by postsecondary faculty from that discipline and dual credit teachers/staff to assure that grading standards meet those in on-campus sections.
  • Dual credit students are assessed using the same methods (e.g. papers, portfolios, quizzes, labs, etc.) as their on-campus counterparts.
Illinois Yes. Instructors of community college courses offered at high schools must be selected, employed and evaluated by the community college. They must be selected from full-time faculty and/or from adjunct faculty with appropriate credentials and demonstrated teaching competencies at the college level. The course outlines must be the same as for courses offered on campus and at other off-campus sites and must contain the content articulated with colleges and universities in the state. Course prerequisites, descriptions, outlines, requirements, learning outcomes and methods of evaluating students must be the same as for on-campus offerings.

Indiana Yes. The postsecondary partner in a Double Up program, by agreement with a school corporation, may ensure that the content and rigor of a course offered is adequate to warrant providing credit to a student as if the student took the course at the postsecondary campus. The postsecondary partner may set the criteria for a faculty member, an instructor, or other individual responsible for teaching a course with the state educational institution responsible for hiring the personnel to instruct dual credit courses taught by the state educational institution and school corporation responsible for hiring personnel to instruct dual credit courses taught by the high school.

The commission for higher education's "Policy on Dual Credit Courses Taught in High Schools by High School Faculty" requires that:
  • All secondary students taking dual credit courses meet the same academic prerequisites for taking those courses as apply to students taking the same courses on the postsecondary campus; beyond that, the secondary school and the postsecondary campus may jointly establish additional criteria for determining how students are selected into dual credit courses.
  • Course syllabi used for dual credit courses be equivalent to course syllabi used in the same courses taught on the postsecondary campus, including equivalent textbooks, class assignments, laboratory equipment, and examinations.
  • Student learning outcomes expected for dual credit courses be the same as student learning outcomes expected for the same courses taught on the postsecondary campus.
  • An academic unit on the postsecondary campus be responsible for monitoring, throughout the school year, the delivery and quality of dual credit instruction; such monitoring must include visits to the secondary class.
  • The secondary school and academic unit on the postsecondary campus work together to identify instructors of dual credit courses, whose final approval rests with the academic unit on campus and who must have credentials consistent with credentials required by on-campus faculty.
  • The academic unit on the postsecondary campus be responsible for ensuring that professional development opportunities are available and communicated to secondary faculty teaching dual credit courses.
  • The postsecondary campus establish a mechanism for evaluating and documenting, on a regular basis, the performance of students who complete dual credit courses.
In addition, the Indiana concurrent enrollment partnership created through 2008 legislation is tasked with establishing unified rigorous academic standards and assessment requirements and sharing best practices that comply with appropriate national accreditation standards for Double Up for College programs. The partnership must report annually to the department of education and commission on higher education; the report must include an assessment of the academic standards required by dual enrollment programs in the state.
Iowa Yes. A high school teacher teaching a college course must:
  • Meet the standards and requirements that other full-time instructors teaching in the academic department are required to meet and that are approved by the appropriate postsecondary administration.
  • Collaborate, as appropriate, with other secondary and postsecondary faculty in the subject area.
  • Provide curriculum and instruction that is accepted as college-level work as determined by the institution.
  • Use valid and reliable assessment measures.
  • Receive appropriate orientation and information about the institution's expectations.
Secondary and postsecondary instructors must:
  • Be provided with appropriate orientation and training in secondary and postsecondary professional development related to curriculum, pedagogy, assessment, policy implementation, technology, and discipline issues.
  • Receive adequate notification of an assignment to teach a course under this chapter and shall be provided adequate preparation time to ensure that the course is taught at the college-level.

The eligible postsecondary institution must provide the teacher or instructor with ongoing communication and access to instructional resources and support, and must encourage the teacher or instructor to participate in the postsecondary institution's academic departmental activities. The institution must ensure that the courses provided achieve the same learning outcomes as similar courses offered in the subject area and are accepted as college-level work.

Postsecondary faculty teaching a course away from a postsecondary campus must undergo a background check.

Kansas Yes. When courses are taught at the high school, the agreement between the school district and postsecondary institution must "include collaborative faculty development programming such as pedagogy, instructional design, course management, instructional delivery skill improvement, curricular reform initiatives, ... and student success assessment strategies." The agreement must also list the principles for ensuring program quality.

Such courses must be approved through the postsecondary institution's curriculum approval process. The Kansas Board of Regents Policy and Procedures Manual (last updated June 12, 2008) sets forth additional criteria for dual enrollment courses taught at high schools by high school teachers, including:
  • The high school and college-level prerequisites, the content of courses, course goals and objectives, must be the same as those for the same courses offered to students at any location or by any delivery method.
  • Materials such as textbooks used must be comparable to those used in the same course throughout the institution. Procedures for selection of textbooks and related material by faculty who teach concurrently enrolled students must follow adopted postsecondary institutional policies.
  • Faculty teaching college-level concurrent enrollment partnership (CEP) courses must attain instructional eligibility by meeting one of the following standards: (1) demonstrate possession of a masters degree with 18 credit hours in the assigned course content; or (2) demonstrate possession of a bachelors degree, with at least 24 credit hours in the assigned course content and utilize the same final examination as given in a representative section of the course taught at the institution awarding the course credit and apply the same scoring rubric for the assigned course as that used in the on-campus class. Institutions may set higher standards. Teaching evaluations must be conducted. The postsecondary institution will provide instructors with orientation and ongoing professional development.
  • Before approving the instructors to teach college-level CEP courses, the postsecondary institution must provide high school instructors with orientation and training in course curriculum, assessment criteria, course philosophy, and CEP administrative requirements
  • Each CEP must include an implementation plan for ensuring that instructors teaching concurrently enrolled partnership students are part of a continuing collegial interaction through professional development, seminars, site visits, and ongoing communication with the postsecondary institution’s faculty and administration of the partnership.
  • Courses offered through a concurrent enrollment partnership must be reviewed annually by faculty in the discipline at the postsecondary partner to assure that grading standards (i.e., papers, portfolios, quizzes, labs), course management, instructional delivery and content meet or exceed those in regular on-campus sections.
Kentucky Yes. Legislation directs the Council on Postsecondary Education, collaborating with the Kentucky Board of Education and the Education Professional Standards Board, to "develop guidelines for content knowledge and teacher training in dual enrollment and dual credit programs offered in Kentucky."
Louisiana Yes, for TOPS Tech Early Start, Early Start and traditional dual enrollment. Board of regents policy provides that high school and postsecondary partners must jointly determine the appropriate level of course content, and that course content may not be any less than that which is required of a similar course open to postsecondary students only. High school and postsecondary partners must jointly agree on the appointment of secondary or postsecondary instructors to provide dual enrollment courses. Postsecondary institutions must ensure that high school teachers possess the necessary qualifications and meet appropriate regional and program accreditation requirements for instruction.
Maine Not set in state policy
Maryland Not set in state policy
Massachusetts Not set in state policy
Michigan Not set in state policy
Minnesota Not set in state policy. However, effective with fiscal year 2011, districts may be reimbursed only for dual enrollment courses that are accredited by the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnership, in the process of being accredited, or are shown by clear evidence to be of comparable standard to accredited courses.

In addition, legislation allows districts to use teacher professional development funds to pay for coursework and training leading to certification as a college in the schools or concurrent enrollment teacher. In order to receive a grant, the teacher must be enrolled in a program that includes coursework and training focused on teaching a core subject.
Mississippi All programs: Yes. High school teachers must be approved by as an instructor by the collaborating postsecondary institution. A dual credit academic instructor must have, at a minimum, a master's degree with at least 18 graduate semester hours in the instructor's field of expertise. A dual credit career and technical education instructor must meet the requirements set forth by the state board for community and junior colleges in the qualifications manual for postsecondary career and technical personnel. University and community and junior college personnel have the sole authority in the selection of dual credit instructors.
Missouri Yes. High school teachers teaching dual credit courses must meet the requirements for postsecondary faculty, as set by the higher learning commission. As such, they must have at least a master's degree that includes substantial study (usually a minimum of 18 semester hours) appropriate to the subject they are teaching. Both the high school and the postsecondary institution's chief academic officer must approve high school instructors teaching dual enrollment courses.

As stated in the department of higher education's dual credit policy, "The responsibility for the orientation and evaluation of dual credit instructors rests with the college's academic departments, with guidance from the chief academic officer to ensure consistency across academic departments.

"New dual credit instructors will participate in orientation activities provided by the college and/or academic department. Continuing dual credit instructors must participate in both the professional development and evaluation activities as those expected of adjunct faculty on the college campus. In order to assure comparability of the dual credit course with the corresponding experience on the college campus, college academic departments must provide instructors of dual credit courses with support services, including a designated on-campus faculty member to serve as a liaison. Dual credit instructors must be evaluated according to the college's evaluation policies for other part-time/adjunct faculty, with the recommendation for continuation being the responsibility of the campus academic department. Thus, the institution of higher education must provide on-site supervision and evaluation of the dual credit faculty. This process is best served when the instructional site is within a reasonable commuting distance from the institution of higher education."

Additionally, "Dual credit courses offered in high schools must duplicate the identical course offerings delivered on campus to matriculated students. Courses must be approved for dual credit status, and the credit awarded must be deemed acceptable in transfer by the faculty of the appropriate academic department (unit) of the college. Elements of the dual credit course to be approved by the on-campus college faculty in the appropriate academic discipline include the syllabus, textbook(s), teaching methodology, and student assessment strategies. Course content and course requirements must be comparable to those utilized in the equivalent on-campus courses with the same titles. The chief academic officer of the postsecondary institution will also be responsible for involving full time faculty in the discipline in the selection and evaluation of all dual credit faculty. The on-campus college faculty must also ensure comparable standards of evaluation."

Montana Yes. High school instructors teaching a college course for dual credit (or college credit-only) are considered adjunct faculty of the college and must use the college's syllabus.

An instructor of a dual credit course who does not have K-12 licensure in the course content area must acquire a Class 8 alternative license.
Nebraska Not set in state policy. However, the Nebraska Dual Enrollment Standards, which serve as guidelines but do not have force of law, specify:
(1) Instructors must hold a master's degree and "have the mutual support of the district and college/university participating in the dual enrollment program."
(2) High school and postsecondary faculty must "receive appropriate orientation and training[.]"
(3) "Collaboration between high school and postsecondary faculty is encouraged and faculty development is available where appropriate."
(4) "High school and postsecondary faculty maintain contact throughout the program. In some instances, this contact is facilitated by technology."

In addition, "Course outlines or syllabi (including at minimum a description of content, teaching strategies, performance measures, grading standards, resource materials, objectives/outcomes, and course calendar) utilized in the program meet district(s), state, and college/university standards."
Nevada Not set in state policy
New Hampshire Not set in state policy
New Jersey Yes. Dual enrollment courses must be taught by college faculty with academic rank. "Adjunct faculty and members of the district staff who have a minimum of a master's degree may also" teach dual enrollment courses. In addition, local boards and colleges must ensure that courses offered to high school students are equivalent to those offered to regularly admitted college students.
New Mexico Yes. The postsecondary partner must approve faculty for all dual credit courses. Each district offering dual credit courses must submit a signed uniform master agreement with a public postsecondary institution to the public education department. The agreement must specify eligible courses, academic quality of dual credit courses, course approval and course requirements.

College courses eligible for dual credit must meet the rigor for postsecondary institution credit and be congruent with the postsecondary institution's academic standards. Dual credit courses offered at high schools must conform to college academic standards. Course requirements for high school students enrolled in dual credit courses must be equal to those of regular college students.
New York Not set in state policy
North Carolina Yes. Huskins: Students must meet the same prerequisite, co-requisite and course admission requirements as regular college students. Courses must be of the same rigor as courses for traditional students, using the same college-level textbooks and covering the same course material.

Huskins courses appear to be typically offered at high schools by community college faculty, and most Concurrent Enrollment courses are offered at community colleges by community college faculty.
North Dakota Yes. According to North Dakota University System (NDUS) procedures, "The college course section taught in the high school must meet the content and academic standards of the NDUS course sections taught on campus. ... To ensure that college course standards are adhered to, the NDUS college/university course syllabus will be provided to the [high school] instructor and be used as the criteria and model for all such dual-credit college courses taught in the high school. In most cases, this will mean the use of the same (or equivalent) text materials and similar evaluation criteria to include institutional exams if need be." The postsecondary institution must monitor the course, including by "using the sponsoring college/university student evaluation document and procedure in order to solicit student feed-back."

See also the "Instructor Approval" portion of the North Dakota University System Procedures 402.3.2, Delivery of Dual-Credit College Courses.
Ohio Yes. Any high school student admitted to a course by an institution of higher education will be expected and required to perform at the same level as the institution's regular students.
Oklahoma Yes. Students' opportunity to earn college credit through concurrent enrollment is contingent upon several course quality factors, including "qualifications of the personnel delivering the course[.]" To earn college credit, students must be in a course with college students enrolled, or at an off-campus site "and taught by regular faculty whose primary educational employment is as a faculty member at the institution delivering the course. The chancellor may make exceptions to this rule.
Oregon Yes. Before developing programs with high schools, a community college must file with the department of community colleges and workforce development a policy for governing Two Plus Two and dual credit programs. Policies must include requirements for instructors equivalent to that of other college instructors in the discipline, including master's degree for instructors of lower division college courses, and an appropriate combination of education and experience for instructors of professional technical courses.

In addition, participating school districts and postsecondary institutions must develop written agreements regarding Two Plus Two and Dual Credit programs, which must include criteria on approval of courses, selection and approval of instructors, procedures, counseling, monitoring, and evaluation. Participating school districts and postsecondary institutions must, in consultation with appropriate staff members, determine that course content and instructional quality are consistent with that offered by the community colleges.
Pennsylvania Yes. Postseconary institutions may contract with district employees to teach concurrent enrollment courses if employees meet all qualifications for an adjunct faculty member at the postsecondary institution. A district or area vocational-technical school may not reduce its complement of professional or paraprofessional employees to support a concurrent enrollment program.

Concurrent enrollment programs seeking a state grant must submit a concurrent enrollment agreement to the department of education. The agreement must indicate that courses are identical to those offered when concurrent enrollment are not enrolled, including an identical curriculum, assessments and instructional materials. Courses must enforce the same prerequisite coursework requirements as identical non-concurrent enrollment courses.
Rhode Island Not set in state policy
South Carolina Yes. "Dual enrollment course sections must be comparable in academic content and expected outcome, syllabus, texbook(s), teaching methodologies, and assessment strategies to the particular course offerings delivered elsewhere by the providing higher education institution. Courses must be approved for dual enrollment status by the institution's chief academic officer, or his/her designee."

Each providing college/university's chief academic officer (or designee) is "responsible for selecting and evaluating all dual-enrollment faculty, using Southern Association of Colleges and Schools college-level criteria as minimal requirements for teaching these sections."

In addition, the chief academic officer "must ensure standards of ... faculty evaluation in the dual enrollment course selections comparable to those required of other sections of the same courses."

"Dual enrollment instructors must participate in the expected, relevant professional development and evaluation activities of the offering institution of higher education. For purposes of assuring comparability of dual enrollment offerings with other institutional offerings, academic departments must provide" dual enrollment instructors "with support services, including a designated on-campus faculty liaison."

"The higher education institution must demonstrate clear control of each dual enrollment course, to include control of the faculty either through a direct employment contract or through a statement signed by the faculty agreeing to comply with all college course requirements. ... The chief academic officer of the institution of higher education offering the course is responsible for the review of student performance prior to the continuation fo the course and the instructor in subsequent semesters."

"Whether the course is offered by traditional means or by distance learning technology, the providing higher education institution must provide evaluation and supervision of dual enrollment faculty members in the high schools. Traditionally-delivered dual enrollment coursework should only be offered within reasonable commuting distance of the offering institution to facilitate on-site evaluation and supervision."
South Dakota Yes. Faculty from only one university are authorized to teach dual enrollment courses in high schools, to ensure that content meets college-level expectations.

Apart from courses taught by this university's faculty, dual enrollment courses taught at the high school will not be awarded transfer or equivalent postsecondary credit unless the credit is granted by a university with which the board of regents has a dual credit agreement. The agreement between the board of regents and college requires:
  • High school faculty to have either a master's degree in the subject/discipline teaching, or a master's degree with 18 graduate hours in the subject/discipline teaching
  • A faculty member from the credit-granting institution be assigned to and actively engaged as a mentor for the high school instructor
  • The faculty of the institution granting credit developed the course syllabus.
Tennessee Not set in state policy
Texas Yes. Instructors of dual credit courses must be selected by the college. Instructors must either be regularly employed college faculty or meet the same standards and approval procedures used by the college to select faculty for teaching the same courses at the main campus of the college. The college must supervise and evaluate dual credit instructors using the same or comparable procedures used for faculty at the main campus of the college.

In addition, the college must ensure that the dual credit course and corresponding course at the main campus of the college are equivalent in terms of curriculum, materials, instruction and method/rigor of student evaluation.

Dual credit partnerships between high schools and postsecondary partners must address faculty selection, supervision and evaluation.
Utah Yes. High school teachers must be approved as adjunct faculty and supervised by a state institution of higher education. Nomination of adjunct faculty is the joint responsibility of the district and postsecondary institution, although the appropriate postsecondary institution makes final approval of adjunct faculty.

Course content, procedures, examinations and teaching materials must be approved by the appropriate department or program at the postsecondary institution to ensure quality and comparability with courses offered on postsecondary campus. High school teachers serving as adjunct faculty must "be included as fully as possible in the academic life of the supervising academic department." Postsecondary institutions and high schools must "share expertise and professional development ... to adequately prepare teachers at all levels to teach concurrent enrollment students and content, including both federal and state laws" on student privacy and student records.

The scope of concurrent enrollment courses offered must be narrow "enough to ensure coordinated statewide development and training activities for participating teachers."

Districts must report annually to the state office of education on supervisory services and professional development provided by the postsecondary partner. Districts must also report annually indicating that all concurrent enrollment instructors are in compliance with the faculty requirements in R277-713-7B and C.

Postsecondary faculty "who have significant unsupervised access to K-12 students" must complete a criminal background check.
Vermont Not set in state policy
Virginia Yes, for partnerships between high schools and community colleges. Dual enrollment courses (taught either at the participating high school or college) are taught by college certified faculty members. Courses specially scheduled for high school students at the college or high school must have the same academic rigor as regular college courses and meet all college accreditation standards. The community college must "ensure that all dual enrollment courses taught are equivalent to other instruction by the college, specifically in terms of course objectives, components of the syllabi, level and rigor of content, evaluation of students, textbooks, student outcomes and assessment and faculty evaluation."

All arrangements must include formal mechanisms to evaluate faculty effectiveness and student success. Dual enrollment instructors must be evaluated using the guidelines adopted for all adjunct faculty. A copy of the evaluation results must be given to the designated district representative. Student evaluations of all dual enrollment adjunct instructors must be held each semester for each course offered. Student evaluation results must be shared with the dean, program lead, faculty member, and designated district representative.

The community college must also select all faculty, who must "meet the faculty hiring criteria established by the SACS [Southern Association of Colleges and Schools] and state board for community colleges." SACS requires faculty teaching associate's level courses designed for transfer to four-year institutions to hold a minimum of a master's degree with at least 18 graduate hours in the teaching discipline.
Washington Not set in state policy
West Virginia Yes. Any off-campus course must meet the same standards as required for on-campus instruction, and must use the equivalent syllabus, text, assignments, assessments, evaluation of students and evaluation of faculty as an on-campus course. High school teachers teaching dual enrollment courses must be assigned adjunct part-time faculty status, and such employment must be consistent with state and institutional standards on the employment of part-time adjunct faculty. Credentials of high school and postsecondary faculty teaching dual enrollment courses must be approved by the chief academic officer of the institution and department granting the credit.

: All faculty, whether the course is offered on the college or high school campus, must meet hte minimum faculty credential requirements for instructional rank at the college granting the credit.
Wisconsin Not set in state policy. Instructors must meet the requirements of the postsecondary institution.
Wyoming Not set in state policy
Puerto Rico No information located

© 2018 by the Education Commission of the States (ECS). All rights reserved. ECS is the only nationwide, nonpartisan interstate compact devoted to education. 700 Broadway #810, Denver, CO 80203-3442

To request permission to excerpt part of this publication, either in print or electronically, please contact the Education Commission of the States’ Communications Department at 303.299.3609 or askinner@ecs.org.

Your Education Policy Team  www.ecs.org